The bipartisan Congressional Future of Defense Task Force released their final report, findings, and recommendations, following a months-long review of U.S. defense assets and capabilities. The Taskforce was Co-Chaired by Reps. Seth Moulton (D-Mass) and Jim Banks (R-Ind) and was chartered to complete this review and assess the state of the national security innovation base to meet emerging threats.
The findings and recommendations are extensive; notably, the final report:
- Suggests strategies to win the artificial intelligence and biotechnology race;
- Calls for an evaluation of the effects of emerging technology integrations into the existing defense apparatus;
- Urges the government to leverage the innovation base;
- Underscores the need for strengthened partnership and alliances;
- Calls for the creation of additional pathways for STEM talent to enter the Department of Defense workforce; and
- Suggests strengthening the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and the Foreign Investment Risk Review Modernization Act (FIRRMA) to include industries related to AI, quantum computing, sensing, autonomy, space, and robotics.